Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Family Firsts

We embarked on our first  vacation as a family of five.  In fact, we hadn't been on a family vacation since AJ1 had his first birthday (we spent that time at the Outer Banks in North Carolina).  AJ3 celebrated his first birthday at home and we headed out the next morning.  


We decided to do an old school driving vacation this time.  JJ and I both grew up with this kind of vacation with our families.  Junie and Mamaw would often load us all in the car (when I say all, I am serious, I can remember one trip to and from Florida, a twenty hour drive, with three teenagers, a pre-teen and Junie and Mamaw in a SEDAN!).  JJ's parents would often go on state and national park adventures.

Recently Mt. Tongariro spewed a good bit of ash and rock and we just had to see it ;)  We headed out for the central plains.  We spent most of our first day driving but made it to Rotorua in time to visit the Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland.  It was reaaally beautiful.  As usual, I was totally impressed by this little piece of the world but I was also totally impressed with Mamaw.  At 78 years old she pushed a pram through this park, up and down hills and then walked up and down hundreds of stairs.  I am so very grateful that God blessed me with such an amazing, amazing person who loves me.










I am a total nerd but I LOVED seeing this geothermal unit (and would have loved to investigate more).  I couldn't help but find myself wondering all about it's production, costs, efficiency, etc, etc, etc.  This is a no nuke country (I think of all the "No new nukes at North Anna" bumper stickers I read in Charlottesville).  You can take a girl out of the markets...



















1 comment:

  1. Okay, either you need to make your pictures bigger, or this "aging" gal needs glasses... I thought that the photo of the cake was a pot turned over with a candle on it! LOL! I was thinking, "Amy, what in the heck kind of way is that to celebrate his birthday??" Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete