Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Advice for Laura

Just before we moved to Auckland I was contacted by a nurse who was also moving to Auckland soon with her MD hubs and three little girls.  To be completely honest I can't remember the ages of the girls but I know that they are pretty close stair steps like my boys (maybe just not as young).  In addition to these similarities, this girl is FROM C-VILLE originally!  Small, small world!

I heard from Laura again recently asking if there was any advice on what to bring when they trek across the international date line in a couple of months.  I have had this on my mind for more than a week and I have asked my friends here on the north and south island as well as JJ to put their two cents in and here is what we have come up with.

My boys are close enough in age that I was able to bring Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends and tracks and we were basically set.  We have purchased a few things here including scooters (all the kids in Auckland have them).  I would only bring the bare essentials.  I wanted this to be a time of less toys and more exploration.  Jenny was quick to point out, there are toy libraries to join here to keep everything fresh!  Heidi pointed out that toys are expensive here and she is SO correct, everything is so we are learning to do with less.  The playgrounds are amazing and the beaches and, and and!  Finally, I'm not sure if you have heard but they are totally nuts about not letting in foreign soil so if your bikes aren't totally scrubbed of anything that could possibly be confused with dirt/mud/soil they will not let it in (they will also check your shoes in your suitcases!).  There was even an exhibit at the Te Papa about keeping out foreign soil and pests!

Emily pointed out that she missed having nice bedding!  Again, everything is expensive here (or of poor quality OR BOTH).  At the last minute I decided to pack our duvets and pillows in space bags and make room for them in suitcases.  I am SO GLAD that I did.  JJ purchased new sheet sets for our beds before I arrived and I don't even want to know what he spent on them!  We also went thrifty on duvet covers opting for cheapies from The Warehouse.  If I had it to do over again I would have made a trip to IKEA and purchased a few duvet covers to stick in my suitcase, the ones we have are just as good but were still expensive in my mind.  I do a lot of shopping at Briscoe's and The Warehouse because I know it is all temporary for us.

Bring your favorite make-up!!  I really like Clinique but I have a hard time spending money on things like mascara that goes bad quickly so I usually use the Cover Girl that comes in the pink tube -- it is $20 here -- it's like $4 at home!!  Jenny actually suggested this but I couldn't agree more!! It's also hard to find many brands, here is a link to an article that Jenny recently posted on her Facebook page about choice in NZ.

If you like ANYTHING plastic, BRING IT!!  This country is obsessed with being green and part of that seems to be shunning plastic or making it so expensive that it is prohibitive (seriously, ONE sippy cup is at least $17 and four reusable plastic plates at the Warehouse are like $8)!!  Bring sippy cups if you use them, plates, forks, water bottles cannisters (I reallly wish I would have brought those!), etc, etc, etc!!  BRING PLASTIC!!

If you child uses a comfort item (Heidi suggested this about pacis) bring several - you might not be able to find them!!

If you like to read, get a Kindle or e-reader if you don't have one already!!  Again, Jenny on this one -- again, I concur!! I got a Kindle for my birthday in May (totally the basic Kindle) and I am so glad.  I brought  my boys a few of my favorite kid books but your girls may be old enough or the right kind of children for the library (my boys are neither!).  In addition, Jenny suggested updating any electronics that may go bad while you are here.  I purchased a new lap top the week I few over and I brought my printer.  JJ purchaed a Mac Air right before he came.  We have priced things here and found that this store is reasonable for Apple products but still pricey (sick of hearing that yet? :).

Kids vitamins!  Heidi on this one!!  I would have forgotten to mention this but I had them mailed over a few weeks ago.

Heidi also remembered that the Old Navy brands will deliver here (it's like $30 shipping for $125 in product) so good deals on clothes are available (my bestie works for this company so she sends me discounts - yay).   I would make sure that they entire family is stocked on GOOD WALKING SHOES (running shoes are at least $200 for adults and $100 for kids) and hiking/rain gear!  I bought a new pair of running tights and a shirt the other day and I don't want to admit how much it was.  If you see me running in the next year, chances are, I am wearing it.

If you don't have a good city stroller and you still use strollers BUY ONE NOW!!  A used Phil and Ted's double is between $250 and $500 here (most are heavily used).  If I had realized this, I would have laid down the $700 for a new one before we came.  The airline will probably bring it over free and not count it toward your baggage allotment.

Medications!!  Emily suggested this one and she is right!  I had a friend who is living in Berlin suggest this to me and I am so glad that she did.  You do not want it to be midnight and need meds for your little one and try to figure out where to get them (everything closes -- they don't even run the MRI at night at the hospital!) and how much of something different from your usual brand to give.  Since you are both medical professionals I am sure you could figure it out but in that moment of sick little one I about lose my head!

Rain gear (Emily again!)!!  It really does rain about everyday here.  I'm not complaining but you want to be prepared.  I ran in the rain once and by the time I got home I was soaked to the bone and COLD.  50's feel cold on the seashore.  I remember Jenny saying this before I came and I kind of thought, yeah, okay but it's still 50F -- trust me, it's cold!  Don't forget rain gear for the kids and stroller if you have it (oh and and afterthought, warm pjs for everyone).

I would LOVE to have a retractable clothesline to use in the house.  Electricity is HIGH $ here and you don't want to run your dryer any more than you have to.  Our last electric bill topped $600 and I am pretty careful about using our heaters (only at night) etc.

Finally, kitchen gear.  As Emily put it, things are "cheapie" here.  I brought measuring cups and spoons and a few other things but I miss my kitchen things SO MUCH!  Bring storage items too (think plastic) I save every container that comes into my house for left overs these day.  It's expensive to eat out and restaurants are a tight fit so it's harder with children.  Babysitters also seem to be few and far between for a date night!

I know it seems like a lot but if you look closely, I bet most of it was already on your list!  All this talk about things being expensive (let's not even talk about rent!) things are attainable.  There is the exchange rate to consider but things really are more pricey.  As always though, the best things in NZ are free.  The beaches, the day sky, the night sky, the mountains, it is beautiful and you will fall in love!!




5 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more about so much of this. I will add on to replace any workout wear/shoes, and YES to the strollers. There is a store on the North Shore (Potential Unlimited) that has used and new baby gear. We bought a few sippy cups there for about $5.00 each, but you have to be willing to sort through stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all of your help over the last few months Jenny!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Mama!! I loved getting your advice and still love reading your blogs!!

      Delete
  3. Amy...I just read this (we have been super busy) but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! We are just packing suitcases and not shipping anything. I'm going to be using the baby's suitcase for a lot of extras. Luckily we have lived in New Hampshire so we have a lot of warm hand me down clothes. The sippy cups sound like a must...I will have to pack you some :) I thought about the sheets and we have brand new shower curtains and such I may throw in there. Luckily we arrive in summer so hopefully we will ease into the cold damp winter and the steep electric prices!

    What do you know about childcare? We heard the government will help? I start work a month after arriving and will need to find either a daycare or nanny...plus my oldest will be starting school (do they have school buses?)

    How good is the public transportation...we will most likely have one car and will be able to carpool sometimes to work, but one may have to take a bus.

    I have so many questions...will keep a list. We are working on selling our cars right now....lots to still get done.

    Thanks again....so helpful and sweet of you! Laura

    ReplyDelete