Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spades

Pavlov and Reagan were our first children.  Pavlov, the 125 pound Rottweiler/Australian Shepard mix breed was my lap dog until his death last fall.  It wasn't a good death.  It caused great controversy and animosity in our house for months leading up to it but I basically insisted that my dog had gotten too old and slightly volital and had to be put to sleep after AJ3 was born.  It was hard on everyone but especially JJ and AJ1.

AJ1 still talks about missing his black dog and wants to know why he can't return.  Some of AJ1s first words were "Dog, Eat!!".  He was quite attached.

Fast forward nine months and we had to give Reagan up.  Reagan the cat is 17 years old.  She is in perfect health.  She is residing with my in-laws for the moment.

This week when we dropper her off, I unfortunately, didn't have a choice but to have all three AJs with me.  AJ1 went nuts!

He kicked, he screamed, he cried, he even got so upset as to gag!  He accused me of killing the dog (of course, I don't think he knows that I sanctioned the dogs demise but he doesn't seem to miss much that goes on at our house) and now of taking the cat into my in-laws house and killing it with my bare hands (he's 3 and not exposed to violence so I don't have a clue how he came up with that one).  He said that he didn't care if we couldn't go to New Zealand and be with JJ, he wanted his cat!

I was crushed and before AJ1 was finished, I was crying (this had been my pet for the last 15 years as well), AJs 2 & 3 were also a mess (I have to assume from the emotional stress, not leaving the cat) and not for the first time I thought about what this move was going to do to our children.   I grew up in a very disrupted world with my only constant being home.  I hope that I give my children a constant world with the only disruption being geography.   In the meantime, I've been worrying it.

I was having trouble sleeping tonight in my holding pattern of we should be in Auckland already but haven't actually purchased tickets yet.  I did the rounds on the internet, you know, email, news sites, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter etc and finally came to the list of blogs that I normally save for Sunday morning (I am hoping to avoid being awake in the morning).  A good friend's blog made me feel so much better!

My friend Danielle grew up in a military family and is now married to a man devoted to medical training (pediatric cardiology).  Talk about someone who has to know how to roll with the punches.  She too is orchestrating a move this summer though hers is being done while nine months pregnant!  You can check her out here and read why I had restored confidence that I may not totally mess up my kids by moving them around.  If Danielle is the end product of moving and being away from family, then I'll take it in spades!



6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're stressing :-/ We had to leave our dog with my in-laws when we moved over here and I was so upset and distraught that I couldn't come downstairs when it was time for him to go. They're such a part of the family, but it's wonderful that your cat can be with in-laws. I don't know if they Skype, but we occasionally get to see Bear through Skype, and maybe your little ones can still see the cat and know that he's doing well :-) I can't imagine how hard it must be trying to plan this with 3 kids - thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Jenny! Thanks! My husband is in Auckland now and as soon as he finds a place for us all to live we will be over. Originally we really wanted to live near St. Heliers but now we are thinking of expanding our search out to Ponsonby and Remuera...Do you have any thoughts on those areas? How are you guys doing? Getting ready for your time away later this year?

      Delete
  2. You made me cry way too early in the morning:) Always remember home is not a physical place. It is the love, traditions, and people that matter. The boys will be fine:) And so will you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be so much better if we can meet more fantastic friends! I'm excited and nervous and all kinds of emotions!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amy, My name is Laura and Jenny said I should check our your blog. My family is moving to New Zealand in November, we have 3 little girls and my husband is a physician, I'm a nurse. Sounds like our lives are very similar! Reading your post, are you from Charlottesville??? My husband and I grew up there, we have been allover VA, my family is still in c'ville. When do you guys move to New Zealand, which part? We are going to Auckland....its all very exciting, but lots to do, too much to prepare! I hope to hear back from you, would like to keep in touch, its nice to know others are going through the same thing...especially with kids! Best, Laura Weiss. PS...I'm starting a blog as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura! I am so glad that you were directed to me!! I can't wait to read your blog! Three little girls sounds fantastic. We are actually from Indiana but have been living in Charlottesville for the last three years and will return there for a bit when we head back to the states. My husband is already in Auckland and has been for about the last week and a half. The boys and I will be following him as soon as he finds a place for us all to live (he is currently staying with a friend). We have gone through all of our preparations so if you have any questions I may not have the right answer but I can tell you what we did :) I'm trying to think of a way that I can get you my contact information without either of us posting it on here but I haven't come up with anything yet. It would be great to know anyone from home and especially someone with such a similar life!!

      Delete