Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away

Okay so maybe we were on the banks of the White River but we were in Indiana so I just couldn't resist.  I grew up constantly surrounded by water in my landlocked home state of Indiana.

There was all the pool time (which should really read "I was CONSTANTLY IN A POOL").  Chlorine is still a scent better than any french Par-fum to me as it conjures some of my absolute best memories that range from indoor swimming with my first team at three years old (shout out to the old Oceanus club), to summers spent at Nassau (our neighborhood pool) from dawn till dust, to high school morning practice at 5am, I think maybe even once in the nude (this was before swimming was a co-ed sport in Indiana)!

Then there is natural water!  My mom's parents would go to the river for the weekend when I was really small where I had a small blue row boat, quite originally dubbed, the 'Amy' -- I LOVED that boat.  I was a strong swimmer from before I could walk so at about three years old they would tie a rope to my boat (no sunscreen or life vest required) and I could go out as far as my rope would allow!  They also lived not far from the river and I was allowed to go down and explore alone from as early as I remember.  I didn't realize until I was an adult that my grandpa Jay would follow closely behind to make sure I didn't get myself into trouble.

Then there is the 'compound' as I lovingly refer to our family lake house in JJ's hometown.  It's nothing fancy but it has evolved over the years to accommodate a growing family.  I am planning to visit there tomorrow so I will have more to share on that, then.

Back to the river.  I am sure that many of you don't know that On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away is the state song on Indiana (although I am sure that many of you do know that as well).  Just wanted to throw that out there...

My sister H was in Yorktown over the weekend and we took the AJs and E to what I think is an absolutely beautiful addition to the town, Morrow's Meadow.  While I was growing up it was just an empty field that I used to ride my pony over to but now it is a thriving part of our community (I think it was actually once a lake and then maybe a garbage dump but my history isn't as good as it should be).











No comments:

Post a Comment