Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road on the Wrong Side of the Car...

Sooo, we bought a car (about two weeks ago actually).  It's the first time we had to move to a mini van or what's here called a "people mover".   It is a Honda Odyssey and Junie wanted to know why I didn't buy domestic (LOL)! Since we are no longer using a car that someone loaned to us, I have car insurance and can drive.  I am quickly learning that there is a lot to learn.


I am not going to pretend that I know anything about driving yet, except this...1.  I have to drive on the left side of the road -- this doesn't really cause a lot of problems for me 2.  I have to sit on the right side of the car -- here is where I seem to find my problems -- depth perception!!  3. The person to the right has the right-of-way 4.  Pedestrians NEVER have the right-of-way unless you see the zebra stripes and orange globes.  


The roads are windy and narrow many times.  The woman that we purchased the car from didn't realize that anyone in the world sits on the other side of the car or drives on the other side of the road and thought I was nervous based on the speed at which Aucklander's travel.  I have to be honest, I don't notice that anyone drives any faster than I am used to and my mind is not quite quick enough to convert kilometers to miles without looking it up and I don't really mind!  I know I am obeying the law and roughly how fast I am going according to my point of reference.  


One thing that I have never really been good at is when you have lots and lots of traffic lights in lots of different places.  It is the one thing that I don't like about driving in DC.  I never really know where to look.

Driving on the motorway is also a bit of a different experience.  Since I am used to sitting on the other side of the car, I have to constantly check myself for drifting into another lane.  Parking seems to be the real problem though, since I want to allow extra room on the right and not the left of the car.  I try to park where there aren't tons of cars or parallel park since I don't really mind hitting the curb.  

I try to get out of driving as often as possible (but I do that in the states too).  It is so nice to have all the AJs strapped into car seats and have a moment to just breathe!!  

Cheers (and watch out on the streets of Auckland)!



No comments:

Post a Comment