Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Monday, January 7, 2013

Random Pearls from Parnell

This is probably the last time I will write to you from my lovely little perch in Parnell.  Movers are scheduled for Monday morning and we are headed out to Kohimarama for the remaining time that we will be in Auckland.    I am looking forward to it in some ways but not in others.  I wanted to share a little that's been on my mind in the meantime although I have absolutely nothing of any importance to say, I am going to type away...

Once, what seems like a million years ago, I had a friend who we will call Raquets 4 Rachel of R4R for short who had a baby.  I wasn't even married yet or even thinking about it if I recall so I was probably like 26!  I went to her house one day and someone knocked on the door (once I was already inside).  She didn't answer the door telling me that when she had become a mother she had stopped answering the door unless she was expecting someone...I will not lie, I thought this was over the top!

Fast forward almost a decade and guess what?  I do not answer my door unless I am expecting someone!  I totally agree with her, when someone calls you mama, life changes.  Ed McMahon (did you know he died four years ago?  I had NO idea) could be knocking on my door (although it would have to be his ghost with publisher's clearing house) and I would not answer.  Better yet, it could be Oprah and I would be like, please make an appointment!

The people who bought our house have been here like a dozen times (not exaggerating) in the last FOUR months and they are about ready to drive me insane.  There is always a door left open or a window left unlocked and today they left the gate to the unused backyard open (where I finally found AJ3 after a frantic search).  I don't really like having strangers (and their subcontractors) around my kids. If for no other reason than this, I am ready to move.

Our new house is AWESOME!!  Super excited to show you around!!  We have a great view of Rangitoto, a little fenced in park down the street a walled off private courtyard and one whole side of the house is glass!

So, today I am saying goodbye to the new owners of the Brighton house but I am also saying goodbye to my second least favorite part of pregnancy -- the first trimester!  Whoohoo!  Goodbye sleepy, grumpy, sicky, icky, nasty first trimester!!  Babies who make it through the first trimester of gestation have only a 3% risk of miscarriage (okay so that statistic could be totally inaccurate as I googled it and gave you the first answer I found -- I'm not even siting it).  Tomorrow morning I am officially still not very pregnant (14 weeks) but I have been feeling ready for the energy, nesting, wonderfulness of trimester 2!

I even look forward to the dreaded last six weeks -- okay, maybe I don't -- but the last day of pregnancy at like 37 weeks sounds fantastically happy to me!!  Some of my favorite people were born on June 19 (I'll be 37 weeks that day)!!  I have NEVER carried a baby 40 weeks or 39 weeks or even 38 weeks so I am hoping for a healthy, 6 1/2 pound (Oh goodness, I will not know how much my baby weighs until after I convert it!!), 21 inch (again with the conversion!), 37 week kiwi in the middle of the night (I've never had a baby in the daylight hours!)!!  Just watch, I will have an 3.62 Kg, 43 CM, noon time baby!!

One last thing and if you haven't left of your own volition, I will be done - AJ1 has been asking about birth.  I'm just not ready to have that conversation with my four year old...This weekend he was asking in the car with JJ and I and I answered that the baby would be born at the hospital.  AJ1 asked where the baby would come out, I said the hospital.  It's a conversation we have had for weeks and weeks and he knows I am avoiding him so JJ answers that I will push the baby out at the hospital.  1 becomes very serious and says incredulously that Mamma can't do that because then 4's head will explode!  I think we traumatized him more than we would have with talk of vaginas!!


Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. The new house looks awesome...I love all the moderns houses here. The farm houses out in nowhere are modern...its very interesting. We are looking to move to that area in June :) On the subject of birthing babies...when my oldest Zoe was 4...she was also very interested in it. We decided to bring her to the hospital for our third child...she lost interest in about 3 hours and watched a disney princess movie by the pushing part of the delivery...but she was happy to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have AJ1 call Annika. She can explain the whole birth thing to him 4 year old style. Good luck with your move to the new beautiful house.

    ReplyDelete