Boys

Boys
Is four a set?

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Overdrive

Life has been in overdrive for our family lately. I feel a bit like a spinning plate juggler where if I let any one part of my life slow down things will start crashing and I need to slow down very, very soon!  Now that we (and the rest of the world) know that AJ4 is on the way it makes sense that I am so completely exhausted but the fact that time seems to move more quickly in Auckland than anywhere I have ever been before still does not make sense to me.

We have some big things going on.  First, we are still trying to find a new place to rent.  We have to give up possession of our house in less than eight weeks now and I find myself waking up in the middle of the night thinking about where we will end up.  I want to find the right place but I think in the next week or so I am going to have to re-assess my parameters for a rental.  Please pray we find the perfect place and can settle in for the remainder of our time here.

Next the AJs are growing up so, so fast!  They are growing and developing in ways I never imagined.  AJ1 will answer a question with "Yes, mamma, of course!"  these days and AJ2 is talking up a storm (finally!).  AJ3 has developed from baby to mamma's big boy who still wants to be mamma's baby.  How is it possible to be the third child but still believe you are the ONLY child!  He is also talking up a storm -- catching his brothers quickly!  

AJ1 has requested that AJ4 be another AJ2 (can you follow that?) -- I love AJ2 but being his mamma has more challenging moments so I am hoping AJ4 is well, AJ4 whatever that is!.  AJ2 is pretty emphatic that he is not interested in having AJ4 at all!  The fact of the matter is though that 1 &2 have been down this road before and at younger ages than what AJ3 will have to face it.  22 and a half months will be the MOST time we have had between babies thus far!

The seasons are supposed to be opposite here but I have to say that most of the time I have spent in New Zealand thus far has been rainy and/or cold :).  I'm not complaining, it is beautiful here.  When the sun shines it is absolutely, amazingly stunning but I am hoping summer turns out to be a real "season" and not just a few nice days as I keep hearing it was last year.  

I could use some summer.  I know I won't get what I really want -- a nice hot Virginia/Indiana summer day by the Washington Park/Nassau pool followed by coming home to exhausted children and a nice crisply AIR CONDITIONED house where we can all veg out and watch American TV.  I have this to look forward to forever though and I won't be watching the sun set at Piha for the rest of my life so I'll take Piha now and miss it when I have central air again!

The lead up to Christmas feels quite different too.  I did some quick click shopping for family and friends at home and JJ and now only have the AJs to finish up (hoping to do so this weekend!).  We have the tree up but it just doesn't really feel like Christmas to me.  I think chances are good that I will not be wrapping a single thing this year (weird, right?).

We do have a babysitter that seems to be working really well.  She is younger than I would normally let my kids stay with (17) but a sister of a co-PlayCentre mum and the kids seem to LOVE her.  AJ1 calls her Auntie Linda (JJ keeps telling AJ1 that her name is not Linda and she is not his Aunt but AJ1 just smiles and says that's what  he calls her).  She seems to tolerate our insanity well (she knows where we keep the peanut butter and bread) and knows I have few rules as long as everyone is healthy, safe and appropriately respectful.  She has been a real lifesaver for me!

Finally, I am thinking of formally admitting that I cannot do it all and once we find a new place to live hiring someone to come in once a week and help out with the deeper cleaning.  I've upped my hours at work and am working 25-30 hours a week along with about 8 hours away for PlayCentre with the kids. This is of course in addition to everything else mamma and housewifesque.  I know that there are lots and lots of people that do so much more than I BUT for the rest of this pregnancy and the newborn portion of this baby I think it might be great to have someone come in once a week and take out the little boys smell around the toilets.  Now I just have to move and find the person life would be better -- we will see if I go through with it.  How many of my readers have help around the house (come on, make me feel better about this!)?

Merry Christmas from Parnell!


2 comments:

  1. I think the real question you need to ask yourself is, "Why wouldn't I have someone in once a week to help clean?". You'll have 4 young kiddies, are working 30 hours a week, and if you hubs is like most MDs you won't be seeing him much. There is no reason at all to feel badly about having someone in to help. My mom did for years (a university student, usually) and she would often vacuum and clean alongside her. Made things go much more quickly. Many of my friends with 2 or more kids have help if they can afford it - it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

    Best wishes with the housing situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jenny! I have never met your mom but knowing that you come from a large family and how successful each of you and your siblings always seem to be throughout school, I have to tell you, she has a large legacy in my mind to live up to! Welcome back to the southern hemisphere!!!

    ReplyDelete